Your company isn’t the only game in town, so how can you be competitive and stay in business in this economic environment? Trout & Rivken’s book is about the importance of differentiating yourself from your competitors. Trying to be all things to all people is a mistake. Instead, find a niche and focus your efforts there.
They have great suggestions (and warnings) throughout the book:
- If you try to do everything, your brand will lose focus. It will no longer be clear what you are really about.
- Don’t be afraid to brag about your accomplishments. Those are a point of differentiation.
- Too much growth can actually be a distraction, moving your focus away from the original message.
- Solid marketing skills and staying open to innovation is a must.
- Think about what makes you different and promote it as a benefit.
Differentiate or Die is an excellent read for any business, whether you are just getting started or have been around for a long time.