Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important for any organization wanting to increase the ranking of their web site in search results. Since Google has the market share for searching, the key to SEO is focusing on what Google wants. (As of April, 2009, Google accounted for 65% of all search results.)
1. Relevant content is extremely important to having a good search ranking and click-through rate on Google. Some helpful tips and resources:
2. Use key words, but don’t overdo it. It’s obvious if you are repeatedly using a word on your page to increase your ranking.
3. Google offers webmaster tools to help you out. Log in with your Google account to access their tools.
4. Think strategically about relevant sites that could link to your content.
5. Seochat is another resource to spend some time exploring. The SEO Tools found there will assist you in configuring your website for SEO within the different search engines, not just Google.
6. Site maps are important. XML maps are picked up by crawlers, but HTML maps are picked up by crawlers and humans. Your site map helps search engines index all pages of a website.
7. Update your content frequently so the search engines keep indexing your content. (This also keeps your visitors coming back).
If you are looking to increase your ranking in a Google search, or any search engine, take the time to review your content and look into the resources mentioned above. Do you have any other tips for improving SEO?